In this course, students learn how to design and teach therapeutic Yoga programs for groups and individuals with specific needs or health challenges. This program forms the foundation of our Professional Yoga Therapist Training Program.
Prerequisite YTT Requirements
Therapeutic Yoga Course Hours
- Module 1: Foundations of Yoga Therapy
A two-week intensive program with a focus on therapeutic group classes
- Module 2: Yoga Therapy in Practice
A two-week intensive program with a focus on individual private Yoga therapy session
- Elective (select one of the following three options):
Option 1 - Complete an additional IYT module (4 - 8)
Option 2 - Complete Chapter 1 of the Internship (module 3)
Option 3 - Complete 50 hours of pre-approved advanced Yoga therapy courses taught by our faculty or approved specialty school. A transfer fee will be charged.
A 200-hour Yoga teacher training from a Yoga Alliance registered school or the equivalent. In addition students must have one year of teaching experience and one year of personal practice (which can be accomplished concurrently).
Program Completion Requirements:
Modules can be taken independently and must be completed within 3 years. It is recommended that Module 1 be taken before Module 2. Upon successful completion of all 3 components students will receive a 300-hour Advanced Teacher of Therapeutic Yoga Certificate and may apply through Yoga Alliance for the 500-hour Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) designation.
This training will provide students with the necessary knowledge base, tools and techniques to:
- Work effectively in complimentary settings such as hospitals and clinics.
- Develop Yoga based wellness programs for specific groups such as cardiac care and cancer.
- Evaluate the specific needs of an individual and to design a yoga therapy program to meet those needs.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of health and healing from the yoga perspective, taking into consideration all dimensions of being using the models of the 5 koshas.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of anatomy and physiology and how its functioning is influenced by the tools and techniques of yoga.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of yoga philosophy and psychology with a special focus on health and healing.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the philosophy, theory, process and application of Yoga therapy in the Integrative Yoga Therapy tradition. This in-depth understanding will allow you to work in complementary settings such as health care, to develop Yoga based wellness programs for specific groups such as cardiac care and cancer.
This two-week intensive module forms the foundation of the Teacher of Therapeutic Yoga Program. The focus is on the theory and vision of Yoga therapy and the application of Yoga therapy for specific focus groups. Through this module you will learn how to design and teach Yoga programs for groups with specific needs and health challenges.
Module 1 includes:
- The philosophy and psychology of Yoga therapy with an understanding of health as unity and integration at all levels of our Being, physical, psychological, and spiritual. This approach is based on a survey of the original Sanskrit source materials of Yoga therapy.
- Specific Yoga practices, including asana, pranayama, mudra, bandha, meditation and Yoga Nidra, along with their benefits and contraindications for each system of the body. Emphasis is on theory and applications for the most common health conditions.
- The use of asana in healing musculoskeletal injuries through an in-depth study of kinesiology and understanding the effects of asana in strengthening, stabilizing and creating flexibility in every joint of the body. This study includes modifications and use of props for all asana categories.
- Evaluation skills and techniques for assessing imbalance at the physical, energetic, psychological, and spiritual levels including assessment of the joints, the breath, the chakras and the subtle body.
- Movement techniques for developing strength and flexibility, including Somatics, PNF, hands-on assisted stretching, and the use of the Theraband.
- Introduction to the essential principles of Ayurveda in relation to Yoga therapy including a study of the five element system and a full range of Yoga techniques to balance each element and dosha.
- In-depth exploration of the energy body, including the pranavayus, chakras and nadis, along with pranayama, and mudra, to address common health conditions.
- Practical tools and techniques for supporting clients at the psycho-emotional level, including stress management, relaxation, concentration, meditation, and Yoga Nidra.
- Yoga-based awareness methods such as body mapping, mandala drawing, and guided imagery for unlocking doors to healing.
This two-week module will introduce you to specific Integrative Yoga Therapy programs, including the IYT Healthy Heart Program.
This two-week intensive module focuses on the in-depth practice of Yoga therapy for the needs of the individual in the context of developing a private Yoga therapy practice. Deepen your understanding of Yoga therapy and learn the practical application of IYT's principles and techniques.
Module 2 includes:
- Use of a variety of formats for evaluation and body reading at physical, energetic, and psycho-emotional levels that provide in-depth information from which the Therapeutic Yoga Teacher can respond with appropriate Yoga practices for optimal healing.
- In-depth instruction in selecting and adapting Yoga therapy tools and techniques to provide a complete therapeutic practice for each individual that includes asana, pranayama, mudra, affirmation, meditation and Yoga Nidra.
- Understand how to develop and implement a complete Yoga therapy program directed toward the most common health conditions such as high blood pressure, type II diabetes, arthritis and back pain.
- Learn therapeutic sequences that apply the principles of Ayurveda in Yoga therapy.
- Learn therapeutic sequences to balance the subtle body including pranavayus and chakras.
- Develop listening and dialogue skills to assist in opening clients to their own resources of inner healing.
- Observe one-on-one Yoga therapy sessions by master therapists.
The skills you learn in this module will allow you to work in professional settings and begin a private Yoga therapy practice.
What Students Are Saying
"The training is challenging, informative, and enriching. I learned so much from all the instructors. Thank you!"
"This training deepened my love of the spiritual connection, deepened my knowledge of the yogic view of health in relation to the allopathic view, and in many ways to help specific conditions for my clients and students."
"The depth of yoga tools and physiology taught in this course is difficult to describe. I am taking home an understanding of Yoga concepts that brings one far beyond the physical aspects of the conditions of humanity."
"I went from knowing very little about the field and now feel that I can teach with confidence. I especially loved learning how to specifically apply Yoga nidra, meditation, and deep internal awareness in the postures in a therapeutic way. Every teacher and assistant was supportive, generous, extremely knowledgeable and wonderful."
"The program had a great way of building on my previous knowledge without excluding my yogic lineage. I love the way all of the parts come together for a very organized way of creating a therapy program for any condition. I feel such gratitude for all of this knowledge."
"The program provided a deep respect for the complexity of working in the yoga therapy field. The work itself provides the strength and tools to step up to the progression and teach."